To help us work towards our school goal of improving our understanding and practice of assessment, my principal has provided our staff with a copy of Classroom Assessment for Student Learning: Doing it Right - Using it Well, by Jan Chappuis, Rick Stiggins, Steve Chappuis, and Judith Arter. As I make my way through the book, I will be summarizing my learning as a means of organizing my thoughts and getting clarification on particular ideas.
|Classroom Assessment for Student Learning Cover. (Accessed 2016). Uploaded to Amazon; Pearson Education. Available online at: https://www.amazon.ca/Classroom-Assessment-Student-Learning-Doing/dp/0132685884|
Chapter 1 - Every Student a Learner
Classroom Assessment Literacy
The knowledge and skills needed to:
- gather accurate information about student achievement
- use assessment (and its results) to improve student achievement
* if assessment doesn't result in higher student achievement then something is missing
5 Keys of Quality Classroom Assessment
1 ) Clear Purpose
- the assessment is designed to meet the specific informational needs of the user (student, parent, teacher, admin)
- who will use it?
- how will they use it?
- how much detail do they need?
2 ) Clear Targets
- the assessment is based on clearly communicated learning targets
- are learning targets clear to staff and students?
- are these learning targets the focus of the instruction?
3 ) Sound Design
- the assessment accurately measures student achievement
- does the method match the targets?
- is the task and rubric of high quality?
- are biases accounted for?
4 ) Effective Communication
- the results are communicated to users clearly and timely
- can results guide instruction?
- is achievement tracked/reported by learning target?
- do grades communicate achievement accurately?
5 ) Student Involvement
- the assessment involves students in all aspects (self assessment, goal setting, tracking, reflection, etc)
- are students' information needs met?
- are learning targets clear?
- are students tracking their learning process?
I WANT TO KNOW:
If you were to spend the summer break revamping your assessment practices what class/subject would you start with? Why?
Please leave your thoughts below :)