The Role of the Mentor - Reflective Blogging Part 6

  This post is part of the Reflective Teaching Blogging Challenghosted by Terry at Te@ch Thought. While the original challenge is a year-old already I thought it would be the perfect thing to keep me on track over the next little while.

DAY 6 - Explain: What does a good mentor do?

     I'm glad that this question was included as part of the challenge because I often say that I am trying to create a classroom that sees "teacher as mentor" as opposed to "teacher as expert"... but what does that really mean? To me, a good mentor is someone who:

- is encouraging and supportive of their mentee(s)

- helps the mentee feel safe enough to take risks

- maintains a positive attitude

- is knowledgeable in their field

- listens to their mentee(s)

- is willing to learn and develop alongside their mentee(s) 

- is enthusiastic/passionate about their field

- can provide specific and effective feedback to help the mentee's development

- is flexible in their approach

- recognizes and values differences in opinions 

- encourages forward development

Here is a short video about mentoring that I enjoyed.
Be a Mentor. (2012). Uploaded to YouTube by Morph Digital Solutions. Available online at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFIFvXQ4Cfo

What would you add to this list?

Labels: