My Former Classroom - Reflective Blogging Part 5

   This post is part of the Reflective Teaching Blogging Challenghosted by Terry at Te@ch Thought. While the original challenge is a year-old already I thought it would be the perfect thing to keep me on track over the next little while.

DAY 5 - Post a picture of your classroom and describe what you see -- and what you don't see that you'd like to.

     When I initially started this post I went back to my previous classroom reveal posts from 2014 and 2013; thinking that I would critique the classrooms that I helped create for my students in the past. I realized, however, that that specific classroom doesn't look anything like those pictures anymore. Before I went on mat leave the bulletin boards and posters came down, the stations were disassembled, and all of my personal items were packed up (which included a significant amount of furniture and decor). 

     While I could have left everything in my room as is (I know that our elementary teachers do this) my mat leave coverage wanted to have the room as a fresh slate, I was somewhat territorial of the items I purchased and brought in myself, and my course-load was changing significantly (so many of the posters, stations, etc didn't have a purpose anymore). While I have been at our school twice now to supervise student council, I haven't visited "my" classroom. I want my mat leave coverage to feel like the space is his (since it is) and I am hesitant to see the room so empty after I worked so hard the past two years to really make it reflect our school, our students, and myself. 

     So..... since I don't have a classroom to post about, I thought that I would post some general thoughts about my classroom set-up beliefs/expectations. These are ideas that I tried to incorporate in my two previous years... and that I will be incorporating when I return in the fall of 2016.

In my classroom, you should see (in no particular order):

- bulletin boards that reflect current learning and showcase student work

- posters/anchor charts that assist students in independent problem solving

- organized school supplies that students can borrow as needed

- areas that assist students in their organization (reminder area, missing work area, hand-in box, etc)

- areas that allow students to work, learn, relax besides from traditional desks, tables (couches, bean-bag chair, carpet, etc)

- areas that allow students to work collaboratively

- areas that allow students to work independently and free from distractions

- personal touches that reduce the sterility of many classroom environments (curtains, non-fluorescent lighting, picture frames, etc)

- technology to aid in student learning (computers, devices, SMART board, etc)

__________________________________________________

This list is a work-in-progress; what would you add?

Labels: , , ,