Reflective Blogging Part 3

   This post is part of the Reflective Teaching Blogging Challenghosted by Terry at Te@ch Thought. While the original challenge is a year-old already I thought it would be the perfect thing to keep me on track over the next little while.

DAY 3 - Discuss one "observation" area that you would like to improve on for your teacher evaluation. 

     One area that I really want to improve in my classroom is fostering a learning environment where students are taking on more responsibility for their own learning. While this is something that I am conscious of and am trying to incorporate in my classroom, it is not something that is necessarily being achieved... yet!

     I recognize that this isn't an area that can be incorporated in a short amount of time; it will take time to build up a supportive environment and develop skills that students need to move towards this area. Here is a list of strategies that I've accumulated, in no particular order, that I feel can assist me in this goal:

- Provide students with choice

- Discuss the learning process and different learning styles/strategies

- Switch from focusing on the end-product to the process instead

- Build collaborative/participatory learning opportunities

- Get feedback as much as I give it

- Have high expectations of all students

- Provide open-ended learning options

- Model effective learning behaviours/attitudes 

- Encourage students to talk more than I do

- Show students that their learning has meaning 

__________________________________________________

What more would you add to this list?

Please leave a comment if you have any specific activities/suggestions to help me meet this goal!


Labels: