1 ) Merging ICT, Social Outcomes & Student-Relevant Ideas
- This week our school celebrated the Day of Pink and worked towards
creating awareness about bullying, discrimination, and homophobia. One
option our school suggested was creating some sort of classroom video
and my Grade 10 class really wanted to do their own version of the
- I wanted to make sure we were still focusing on the message behind the
day so we first worked on creating a collaborative mural at the back of
our room that would serve as the "backdrop" for our film. Students
created posters displaying relevant statistics, positive messages or
personal stories/confessions about bullying, discrimination or homophobia.
- Once our backdrop was finished we filmed their video and spent time
editing it to include images of our mural, the film, and credits to
reference the audio sources we used. It was a really fun project, the
students had a blast, and it was even shared with the school over the
2 ) Teaching Music
- On Thursday we ended up being short-staffed at the last minute and
because I read music and have a music background I was asked to fill
in while my cooperating teachers covered my classes.
- This was an awesome experience for me as I really enjoyed music class
when I was in high school (I actually wanted to originally teach music) but
haven't spent much time on it over the past few years. It was really
rewarding to have an opportunity to utilize those skills again, practice
conducting and help students practice their various pieces.
- A lot of times there isn't a qualified sub to cover the music classes so I
felt like I was really able to help out and hold a "regular" class with them!
One thing that I feel like I need to work on, however, is getting into a rhythm with my ICT course. Due to the number of extracurricular events happening in the school, my students just finished up their unit with "Mr. L" on Tuesday. This means that my unit on PowerPoint & Digital Storytelling needs to be introduced and completed in a manner of three weeks as opposed to five-six weeks. So far I am finding that my students are fairly familiar with PowerPoint so I am hoping this will allow us to progress quite quickly but I will still be making some modifications so that everything can be completed within our time frame!
Week 3: 2 Stars & A Wish Update
Last week I shared that I wanted to work on creating meaningful learning opportunities for the students in my Grade 11/12 Agriculture class. This week we began a case study on The Dust Bowl and spent a class and a half watching the documentary "Surviving The Dust Bowl" and discussing the agricultural and environmental implications. From there I created assessment packages that gave students assessment options based off of suggestions they shared with me. Overall, we are working on creating "mini museum displays" that include some type of media, an artifact, and a written report. Here is how I set up their options:
The Greatest Dust Bowl
Witnessing the Dust Bowl
Dust Bowl Citizen Trading Card
From the Dust Bowl,
Agricultural Causes & Effects of the Dust Bowl
Row 1 = media
Row 2 = artifacts
Row 3 = written report
Students have their choice of two options in Row 1 and their choice of three options in Row 2, but Row 3 is mandatory. So far I have gotten a pretty good response from my students and they have begun working on their choice from Row 1. I think they are enjoying having options and being able to pick what they want to complete. I will make sure to update and share some of the finished products!